Tech

PC monitors: Sharp takes over 66 percent of NEC Display Solutions

The two manufacturers NEC and Sharp establish a joint venture, which is expected to include the previous NEC subsidiary NEC Display Solutions from July 1, 2020. Sharp receives 66 percent of the newly founded joint venture, NEC retains the remaining 34 percent. Both companies hope for synergy effects by merging, for example in manufacturing and sales.

NEC mainly sells professional, office monitors and video walls (digital signage) for companies. In contrast to NEC, Sharp also produces its own display panels, including variants that rely on indium gallium zinc oxide (IGZO) instead of conventional silicon as a semiconductor.

With the de facto takeover, NEC monitors will increasingly appear with Sharp technology in the future. The brand name NEC should remain after the foundation of the joint venture. Sharp wants to expand the product portfolio – the message speaks of 8K displays among other things.


(mma)

. (tagsToTranslate) Display (t) Monitor (t) NEC (t) Sharp