Tech

Von der Leyen wants money for climate change despite a billion dollar gap

Despite a billion dollar gap in the EU coffers as a result of Brexit, EU Commission President Ursula von der Leyen insists on spending more on the climate crisis. You will not accept a budget that does not use 25 percent of all funds for climate protection, said von der Leyen on Wednesday in the European Parliament in Strasbourg. Otherwise the climate change would not be possible. Regarding the consequences of Brexit for the EU financial framework 2021 to 2027, the President of the Commission said: "It will be about 75 billion euros less for the entire period."

25 percent are good for climate protection, but the remaining 75 percent should not worsen the climate footprint, warned Philippe Lamberts of the Greens. Rather, agricultural spending – still the largest block of expenditure in the EU budget – should help farmers switch to environmentally friendly production. The chairman of the EPP Group, Manfred Weber (CSU), called in the debate to end the net payer discussion. Money for border guards or a Marshall Plan for Africa does not flow back to the member states, but is important for Germany, Austria, the Netherlands and other member states.



Don't miss any news! With our daily newsletter you will receive all heise online news from the past 24 hours every morning.

"Time is running out, the clock is ticking," said S&D Socialist Group Iratxe García Pérez of the ongoing negotiations on the Multiannual Financial Framework (MFF). However, it will not give in because it is about Europe's future. Von der Leyen had previously urged: "If the budget is not decided soon, we will not be able to actually finance the new tasks next year."


(ANW)



. (TagsToTranslate) EU (t) EU Commission (t) air (t) climate change (t) Climate change (t) Environment (t) environmental protection